[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters, Cable Spar over Retrans

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 17:03:57 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The best hope for real competition is a new business model supported by Apple,
> Google, Netflix, Amazon, etc. There's not much the congloms can do to prevent
> this as they are already cutting deals and will do almost anything to maximize
> profits as they ride the old business models down.

*If* we assume the existence of a neutral Internet access model, either because
we will have adequate competition in broadband offerings, or because the FCC
will succeed in establishing neutrality mandates, then I have no idea why you
would think the congloms need any self-appointed middlemen, like Google, like
Apple, or even Netflix. The congloms are plenty big enough all by themselves to
create their own sites, to charge customers on their own terms. Or the congloms
can themselves create Hulu-like joint sites.

If we assume this neutral Internet access, I would instead predict that
multiple sites will exist, each with its own focus, and that content owners
like the congloms will simply block their content from any of the sites they
don't like. Or not, if it suits them not to. Oh, they have already done this!

If we cannot have adequately neutral Internet access, for whatever set of
reasons (e.g. just not enough bandwidth in the wireless options), then I would
predict a rebirth of the MVPD model, with Internet Protocols.