[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters Begin Airing Spots Promoting Free TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 18:08:03 -0600

Tom Barry wrote:

> This list has many free OTA users, including myself.  But let's
> try to get a second data point.  How many care about any free
> OTA channels that DO NOT come from affiliates or O&O's of major
> networks?  (Say Fox, ABC, CBS, PBS, NBC, CW).

Me! One of my favorite stations is the 10 multicasts from MHz Networks (on two
separate 6 MHz channels, combined by PSIP into one virtual multiplex). They are
the ones with the 24 hour news programs from a bunch of countries.

But Tom, there's something else that might be missed in your question. I *also*
watch (and record) content from the non-netork multicasts that some of the
affiliated stations transmit. Especially when the main subchannels transmit
only reruns. The two I'm thinking of are the Retro TV Network (mostly old TV
shows) and This TV (movies, even classics).

> I for one do not.   Are the majors all we have to preserve?  Can
> the others all happily be combined as sub channels on one tower
> somewhere and/or maybe also thrown into some free low def low bit
> rate lifeline channel cable pool?

No, the majors are certainly not all I would like to see preserved. I'm looking
for DTV to improve FOTA TV still, with better use of multicasts and new
entrants in the market. "This TV" was a good example. It first appeared on Fox
45 in Baltimore, then also here on CW50. There's PLENTY of multicast capacity
still available here. And if the FCC doesn't grab more of the TV spectrum,
there should also be room for more stations. Craig might assume that FOTA TV =
ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox, but I do not.