[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters Ask Supreme Court to Intervene Over Aereo

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 13:47:13 -0400

On Oct 14, 2013, at 12:56 PM, Mike Tsinberg <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Craig,
>
> I understand what they claim. But what they do is simply a local
> retransmission cable system.
>
> And yes I agree, they are fighting battle that is already lost.
> "Broadcasters" are now simply content providers and they compete with others
> online but not in the air....

Actually, FOTA is the only area where they DO NOT have competition.

FOTI (Free Over The Internet) is actually hurting local broadcasters, as for
many people it is easier to watch a network show on demand than it is to watch
it when broadcast or to record it on their DVR.

There was an interesting story in the New York Times about the impact of
"delayed" viewing on Neilsen ratings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/07/business/media/dvrs-shift-tv-habits-and-ratings.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

> As DVRs Shift TV Habits, Ratings Calculations Follow
> By BRIAN STELTER
> Published: October 6, 2013
>
> One day after Fox introduced the Headless Horseman drama “Sleepy Hollow” last
> month, the television world was impressed by its overnight rating, a 3.4
> among adults age 18 to 49. Fox knew it would grow: based on last season’s
> viewing trends, Fox figured the premiere episode would finish between a 5.1
> and a 5.4 rating once seven days of digital video recorder playback were
> added.
>
> Evidently, even the network’s rosiest outlook wasn’t rosy enough. When the
> seven-day data came in on Sunday, it showed that the premiere episode scored
> a 5.8 rating, a gain of fully two-thirds from its starting point.
>
> That’s what live television is these days — just a starting point. On-demand
> viewing behaviors, which have been reshaping television since the first TiVo
> DVR was shipped in 1999, are becoming more pronounced with each passing year,
> sometimes to the benefit of networks and advertisers and other times to their
> detriment.

Seems like broadcasters would be highly interested in a technical standard that
could serve hundreds of millions of mobile devices, when the only competition
is a wireless broadband data plan…