[opendtv] Re: Bottom Feeders?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 13:02:58 -0500

At 8:47 AM -0500 1/31/11, Hunold, Ken wrote:
Broadcast TV viewers are "bottom feeders"?  Please, Craig.  I think that
the advertising providers that service the MSO/telco side (which is what
the message was really addressing) would be the ones more accurately
called bottom feeders.

This is all about demographics. The use of the term "Bottom Feeders" to describe a portion of the Broadcast TV audience goes back to the late '80s as broadcast ratings began their long slow decline in the face of competition from the new non-broadcast networks. Even before this happened, there were many stories about the decline in economic demographics of broadcast viewers as viewers started to use alternatives like VHS movie rentals.

It may also have a connection to the generalized belief that most TV programming is aimed at people with an 8th grade education...

Clearly there are some cable networks that appeal to broad demographics; and it is equally clear that there are many MVPD subscribers in the lower economic demographics. But the major appeal of most cable networks is the highly targeted demographics that they can deliver, for the national/regional advertisers served by the networks (and DBS systems) and the local advertisers served by local cable ad insertions.

Sadly, the truth is that its a buyers market for advertising and both the broadcasters and MVPD networks are dropping their pants to fill less desirable inventory.

So maybe the advertisers are just "bottom fishing"...

;-)

True, the ads that are inserted into many of the national cable networks
(and NOT broadcaster signals, by the way) are largely SD, and often
hyper -local.

Yup.

Back in 1979, I was the Production Manager at the local ABC affiliate in Gainesville. They literally gave away ads for 10 bucks and expected the production department to create the ads - either for FREE, or for a flat $50. I think this kind of bundling still goes on at the local level for both broadcasters and their local cable competitors. It's not much more difficult or expensive to produce ads in HD these days, but there is still a premium perception about HD that is keeping many from taking the leap to HD ad production.

I HAVE watched a lot of broadcast ads (purely for professional
purposes...) and while I don't have any hard data on the number or
percentage of HD ads, any SD ads stick out like a sore thumb on a 16x9
HD display.  Many (and I might say most, even though I don't have the
numbers to back that up) of the ads that run in prime time on the nets,
and even some of the local ads, are HD.  This would include NFL
broadcasts.

IMHO, for the networks it has less to do with who is watching, than how much the ads cost to run. The production costs for the ads are typically only a small fraction of the media buy. And the economic demographics for the NFL and much of what ESPN runs tend to be higher than the generic broadcast audience.