[opendtv] Re: Bottom Feeders?

  • From: "Hunold, Ken" <KRH@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:47:43 -0500

Broadcast TV viewers are "bottom feeders"?  Please, Craig.  I think that
the advertising providers that service the MSO/telco side (which is what
the message was really addressing) would be the ones more accurately
called bottom feeders.

True, the ads that are inserted into many of the national cable networks
(and NOT broadcaster signals, by the way) are largely SD, and often
hyper -local.

I HAVE watched a lot of broadcast ads (purely for professional
purposes...) and while I don't have any hard data on the number or
percentage of HD ads, any SD ads stick out like a sore thumb on a 16x9
HD display.  Many (and I might say most, even though I don't have the
numbers to back that up) of the ads that run in prime time on the nets,
and even some of the local ads, are HD.  This would include NFL
broadcasts.

Perhaps the folks that deliver the ads to broadcasters and national
cable services (as opposed to the local MSO/telco cable marketplace)
would have a better handle on the status of the HD ad marketplace.

Ken