[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:03:05 -0500

I think the long post boils down to this:

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> If we then decouple content from carriage, and create a
> TRUE marketplace for the bits that are delivered via this
> infrastructure we will have the best of both worlds.

Not really. You've just created another public utility where
one was not necessary. Public utilities should only be
created when there's no other feasible option, IMO. Public
utilities are freakish business constructs which require all
manner of artificial controls to be imposed on them, where
real market solutions do not. At least, not nearly as many.

No one would think of suggesting that all supermarket chains
should be merged into one cooperative, and let the food
producers sell only to that one coop. At least, not after
the collapse of the Soviet Union.

The OTA TV spectrum can operate very nicely without having
to use the public utlity model. That's one of its big
advantages.

And, of course, arguing that broadcasters should *not* look
to maximize their reveues (through legal means) is simply a
non-starter.