[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:25:23 -0500

Kon reiterates what is often stated as "the reality," if we were to
change horses at this point. But the reality may be much different,
depending on what broadcasters "could" do to become more competitive.

We have seen a new competitor - DBS - take 25% market share in less
than 10 years based on the business model they implemented to compete
with cable. They made it easy for consumers to switch by subsidizing
the cost of receivers; and now they are in the process of migrating
about 25 million homes to next generation receivers that will use
improved modulation and improved video compression.

If broadcasters were to offer a service like Freeview, that is easy
to install, easy to receive and FREE, I suspect that the early
adopters of ATSC would be the first in line to BUY new receivers.

There are many ways to create ATTRACTIVE business models. What we
have witnessed over the past decade in the U.S. is a classic case
study in how NOT to run a broadcast business.

I believe that Kon's concerns are grossly overstated. With the small
number of ATSC receivers deployed, the cost to simply replace them
would be MUCH LESS than the cost to give digital receivers to the
millions of homes that now rely on NTSC. What's more, the ability to
offer subscription and cached VOD services on top of the free
service, would provide revenue streams to help subsidize the cost of
receivers for everyone.

Is this not what USDTV and Hisense are doing?