[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:34:08 -0500

Frank Eory wrote:

> Perhaps that is the real benefit of 8VSB: to serve as
> a digital replacement for all those integrated NTSC
> tuners that are currently tuned to channel 3 or 4,
> receiving A/V signals from some other component (like
> a cable or satellite STB). They could just as well
> receive signals from a "robust modem," whether that
> were DVB-T, WiMAX, or something else.

I concur, and have suggested more than once that 8-VSB
could become the single-cable interface that NTSC has
become.

In fact, NTSC tuners themselves went through a dumming
down period, after cable became popular. My 1985 RCA TV
had a better NTSC tuner than anything that came after
it. Too bad it bit the dust in 1993. It was a real
surprise to see obvious ghost again, when I first
switched on the set that replaced that RCA.

Someone knows what the deal is with the LG tuner.
Perhaps it's as Bob suggested, that they couldn't bring
it down to the price point they were shooting for. That
seems more plausible than anything else suggested on
here. Since nothing is new under the sun, I predict that
the design will be tweaked and retweaked until it is
"good enough" and costs no more than the cheap junk that
doesn't work. That's how CE products always evolve. And
Bob indicated that LG wa in fact working with OEMs to
help them make their 5th gen-based boxes work better.

At the same time, COFDM boxes will go the other way, just
as NTSC tuners did after 1985 or so. The introduction of
single conversion tuners in Freeview boxes is a harbinger
of that trend. If they are as bulletproof as claimed,
they will be cheapened to reduce costs and increase
profits, as long as they operate adequately well.