[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:14:57 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Ditching ATSC would not be a burden on any broadcaster.
>  We use Thales and Tandberg equipment that is software
> switchable from ATSC to DVB-T in an eyeblink.  All we
> would have to replace is our 8-VSB ATSC modulator.  No
> problem there, either as our transmitter manufacturer
> sells the same model transmitter to Europe.

There would be some readjustment of the frequency plan,
but it sounds to me like broadcasters such as yourself
should get this through to the NAB, John.

The CEA should not care either way. In fact, they came
out strongly against the tuner mandate.

The ATSC does not have a huge constituency in Congress
that I'm aware of.

So explain to me why this hasn't happened. It's as
mysterious as the special ingredient that makes the LG
hot sauce such a winner.

Inquiring minds would love to know.