[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:13:55 -0700

Craig wrote:
>At 4:55 PM -0500 3/24/05, John Shutt wrote:
>>There are too many homes with second and third cable ready televisions
>>connected to cable without STBs for cable companies to ever completely shut
>>down their NTSC tier.  Shrink the NTSC tier to almost nothing but OTAs and
>>PEGs maybe, but not eliminate it entirely.

>John may be correct about reducing the analog tier to the basic
>lifeline channels over the next few years. But the cost for a digital
>cable decoder will continue to decline; like DBS the cable companies
>will cover most of the cost of these decoders in order to keep that
>monthly bill above $40.

The bare minimum Basic analog tier (local broadcast channels) will likely be
the last remnants of NTSC on cable, and these will eventually disappear when
100% of all cable subs are digital. The low-cost digital cable "adapters" --
some people call them set-back boxes -- are already appearing and will continue
to drop in price. I could imagine MSOs "giving them away" for every TV in every
sub's home, just to accelerate the switch to 100% digital, as well as for
subscriber retention reasons. In that regard, digital cable is already several
years ahead of digital OTA. Amazing what happens when there are compelling
business models and technology that works and just keeps getting cheaper.

-- Frank