[opendtv] Re: Bob likes COFDM

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:49:21 -0500

Ditching ATSC would not be a burden on any broadcaster.  We use Thales and
Tandberg equipment that is software switchable from ATSC to DVB-T in an
eyeblink.  All we would have to replace is our 8-VSB ATSC modulator.  No
problem there, either as our transmitter manufacturer sells the same model
transmitter to Europe.

I also question the actual burden it would be on home viewers.  Most ATSC
boxes sold are part of DBS receivers, and most of those receivers are used
to receive HD from satellite, not from terrestrial.  Anybody who shelled out
somewhere northwards of $2,000 for a home theater system wouldn't be too
burdened to shell out another $200 for a COFDM receiver.

Unless our industry does something really stupid like trying to incorporate
the ATSC bitstream into a COFDM modulation scheme.  That will take years of
work to accomplish, and would really delay the transition.

John