[opendtv] Re: Blue Ray and HD DVD regional coding

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:52:23 +0200

Hi,
Barry Wilkins wrote:
> One other thing - I have a Philips 42FD9954/69C plasma panel.
> I do not know for instance if the DVI input has HDCP and so may

I don't know either, but I would bet towards the negative.
Next Friday I'm in a meeting with some top guys from Brugge, and
I could ask. You should consider that at the time of the release of
this TV, it was not foreseen that HDCP was going to be important.
HDCP was developed by Intel and adopted by Silicon Image, it was
not the idea of the CE industry...

> I understand that otherwise the DVI to HDMI function is straight forward
> for the video data, I just use the analog audio outputs for audio.
Correct?

All HDMI inputs should be able to receive DVI signals, obviously
limited to 8-bits RGB (not 12-bits YPbPr) and no audio. Correct.
The converter cables are readily available.

But if the absence of HDCP is going to block your HD digital output
then you might as well not bother with DVI and use an analog YCbCr
connection. You'll never see the difference, except maybe if you
should have a nasty EMC problem on the analog link.

I have a 2 year old son, and he is very fond of several movies,
like Toy Story and Pinocchio. But he does not treat the DVDs very
carefully, and these Disney movies are still top price. So I make
copies on DVD+R for him, before it's too late. DMCA be damned.

With some freeware software this is actually quite easy, though
Toy Story 2 gave me a bit more trouble than usual. And in the
process also the Region Coding, the Macrovision protection and
the control lockouts are removed. How very convenient...

It doesn't feel as if I am doing anything illegal, copying my own
DVDs for my own use. This changes if I should give some copies away.

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |