[opendtv] Re: Blue Ray and HD DVD regional coding

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:27:33 +0200

Hello,
Barry Wilkins wrote:
>> I really would appreciate it if you could ask the chappies in Brugge.

Okay, sorry for the delay, but here comes what I think is the answer.
I had to ask a guy named Wim de M. in Brugge, he's a design engineer.
This is what he wrote:

> This set (42FD9954/69C, DVI input) can not receive HDCP content.

Earlier Wim wrote that all recent sets with HDMI input can receive HDCP.

About the situation, probably limited to experiences in Europe, he wrote:

Most DVD players switch on the HDCP protection by default, regardless
of the source material. Some DVD players, like Denon, only switch on the
HDCP for copy-protected discs.
Settop boxes may always switch on HDCP, or only for certain channels.

Typically none of this should be a problem as 99% of the displays are
HDCP capable. And in 95% of cases it seems that the HDCP is switched on.

Funny, just this morning I watched some guys connect a new DVD player to
a fairly new display via HDMI, and getting no picture but only a warning
message saying that the display was not HDCP compliant. LOL.

I think they went running for "the splitter". Details witheld...

I'm sorry about your situation, you may be in need of a trick solution
too.

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |