[opendtv] Re: Blu-Ray + HDD Recorders

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 16:12:04 -0400

Dan Grimes wrote:

> It looks like the manufacturers are starting to produce Blu-Ray
> recorders with built in hard drives and are already available in
> Japan, Australia and Europe.  That might explain why they have
> abandoned making DVD + HDD recorders.

Under normal circumstances, I would be waiting with baited breath.

With normal consumer products, we would have expected to see the
innovation introduced in the US market early on. Just as BluRay players
were, for example, even before they were sold in Japan (IIRC).

The annoying thing is, the reason these PVRs are coming available in
every other market out there, but not this one, is that there are greedy
interests out there working overtime to prevent them from becoming
available here. So, while certain paranoid parties want to block HD time
shift recording, the CE manufacturers at the same time stop making even
the SD PVRs available.

It's entirely obvious which parties have to gain. What is not obvious is
how the CE manufacturers are in all of their pockets. With ATSC
receivers, it freakin' took federal action to unblock the logjam. Even
the CEA had a hard time getting the picture.