[opendtv] Re: Blog: We've Only Just Begun

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 09:03:19 -0400

At 5:28 PM -0400 5/6/11, Cliff Benham wrote:
What's the rush? It took from 1954 to 1968 for the NBC Network to become full color, still longer for CBS and ABC.

And many more years for stations in small markets to upgrade to local color production. It was not until the U-matic tape format (aided by digital time-base correction) made color affordable and mobile enough to support ENG, that many stations finally made the transition to color. This also led to the huge increase in U.S. TV stations in the '80s.

Just more anecdotal evidence that the fortunes of local broadcasters are tied to the audiences they can attract with network and off-network content.

Can anyone show me a broadcaster that is thriving, based primarily on locally produced content?