[opendtv] Re: Blast from the past - PAL in 1951

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 13:24:06 -0500

I've been fortunate to have a small part in the restoration of this CPA set at the ETF.

Come to the May 17th convention in Hilliard Ohio and see it working *live*,
http://www.earlytelevision.org/2013_convention.html
along with a DuMont Industrial Color wheel Monitor being restored also.
It operates at 525 lines interlaced, 180 color fields per second.
http://www.earlytelevision.org/dumont_monitor_restoration.html#feb2813

I don't think I will ever have more fun than working on these antique sets
and coaxing beautiful color pictures out of them.

Cliff

On 3/5/2013 12:59 PM, McDonald, J Douglas wrote:
I've not written here recently, since DTV now rules. But lest we forget history,
before the DTV wars there were the NTSC/PAL wars.

But of course we in the US win the "first" claim on PAL, except it was called
CPA
(color phase alternation). And it was developed in 1951 by RCA.

But what's the point? Well, amazingly, beyond all belief, CPA lives. The, or
perhaps an,
actual original 1951 CPA TV has now been made to work again and is showing CPA
pictures.
As an aside, the color carrier is 3.89 Mhz making it even more vestigial
sideband than I-Q NTSC
and really requiring CPA or PAL to avoid wrong-color fringes. As a side effect,
this caused
more color flicker in simple-CPA sets.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/rca_cpa_restoration.html

with photos of CPA pictures.