[opendtv] Re: Beyond transport

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 02:20:45 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The ARPANET was a research project; guys like you needed to communicate
> with one another.

Yup. It's what turned into the Internet. Not a bunch of competing market
solutions at all, I guess is my main point.

> the real work is more like special forces, with a core group driving
> the working groups to document whatever consensus exists.

Well, there are endless debates about the best way to proceed. But again, it's
not like the IETF does nothing more than adopt an existing solution. Instead,
more typically, some company wants to create new markets, but it knows that to
do so, it needs to interoperate. So a group forms to hash out the new
mechanisms. Enlightened self-interest. And yes, sometimes there are royalties
to worry about.