[opendtv] Re: Beyond transport

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 21:07:47 -0500

On Feb 10, 2014, at 7:06 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now sure, in some cases, just as in the ATSC process, the people working on
> the intial mechanisms had ideas going in. That's to be expected. These
> individuals have an interest in the topic, after all. But it's simply false
> to claim that the process was sort of a haphazard libertarian ideal where no
> one laid down the framework. Do you know how many authors there were in the
> initial RFCs for e-mail? Find out. It wasn't an army of people, Craig, and
> there weren't a ton of "marketplace solutions" to pick from.
>
> Go to the IETF web site, and search through the RFCs for e-mail. Notice how
> things begin and how they evolve.

The ARPANET was a research project; guys like you needed to communicate with
one another.

As for armies of people, my experience is that the armies watch and attack with
their IP; the real work is more like special forces, with a core group driving
the working groups to document whatever consensus exists.