[opendtv] Re: Berlin report

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:20:23 -0700

>From: "Dale Kelly" <res0xtey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:29:12 -0700
>
>The general viewing public
>doesn't even know that they need this new service and unless the cable
>systems carry the full OTA DTV multiplex, the majority of viewers won't
>notice the difference.

This is completely backwards. The general viewing public DOES know about HDTV,
and cable is offering an HDTV tier, including local broadcasters that actually
transmit HDTV. Viewers who have taken the plunge definitely notice and
appreciate the improved viewing experience.

It is the sub-channels, most of which (at least in my local market) are a waste
of bandwidth, that viewers won't notice. With cable not carrying "the full OTA
DTV multiplex," what are cable HDTV subs missing? A 4:3 SD version of the same
thing that's on the HD channel? An SD traffic-cam channel? Oh sure, HDTV
viewers are really clamoring for cable to add that stuff!

But one thing is clear: HDTV viewers, both cable and OTA, *do* notice the
effects of multicasting on HDTV picture quality. They may not know *why* the HD
quality is so much better on some local channels than on others, but they DO
notice.

-- Frank