[opendtv] Re: Bendov paper and power limits

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 21:37:00 -0400

On 10/2/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bob Miller wrote:

> All I know is the California law stipulating 8 Watts on
> and 1 Watt on standby. The debate in the Senate Commerce
> Committee was pretty intense over this issue.

Came from the EU. I did a brief search on line, no luck.

OK it came from the EU but the relevant point is that it is the law in
California and this Republican, states rights uber alles, is wanting
to squash this little gem.

> How much will an 18 to 22 Watt receiver cost those
> demographically challenged folks the converter box is
> aimed at in spirit at least?
>
> What does 2 Watts cost 24/7/365?

First, it's not on 24/7. I'd say even if it were, that's still noise
level. Not saying that limiting the power draw is a bad thing. Just
let's not make more of it than it deserves. How many 22W bulbs do you
worry about in a typical home? Most people think nothing of running 60
or 100W bulbs constantly, more than one in each room, even if they're
not in the room. If you make a huge deal about a very small percentage
of savings, it doesn't seem so productive.

Got to start somewhere and California is. An extra Watt or ten per
household 24/7/365 adds up. The only reason that the converter box is
not on 24/7 is that it doesn't include a PVR or anyway to connect one.
But the CA law is about all STB's and wouldn't it be nice if we had
Chinese receivers that only need 1/22nd the power when on that the
converter does while costing less than the subsidy the converter is
receiving.

Anyone heard the price of a converter yet? Probably hold that for
another midnight surprise like they did in 2001 with the results of
the MSTV test. My pick is $125 for the cheapest one.

Bob Miller
Of course, politicians are after VOTES, not necessarily doing what is
technically most productive.

On the Bendov paper, what does all this mean?

"Distributed on-channel transmission could play a critical role in the
transition to software-defined DTTV. As S2Rx receivers become available,
the modulation of distributed on-channel transmitters would be switched
from 8-VSB to COFDM. The main transmitter, using 8-VSB modulation, will
continue to serve all legacy receivers. Meanwhile, switching to COFDM
modulation will significantly increase the quality of service in areas
not covered by the main 8-VSB transmitter and create entirely new
service for mobile DTTV users."

Is he suggesting a SFN where both 8-VSB and COFDM are used in
overlapping coverage zones of the same frequency channel?

Aside from that, I think he's making too big a deal about modulation.
DBS is a very good counter-example. Its success is not because it offers
"triple play" (TV, broadband Internet, and telephony) not because it
offers interactivity, not because it offers mobile service, and not
because it uses COFDM. Similarly, even though it does use COFDM, success
of Freeview in the UK is primarily due to the greater channel offerings
to fixed TVs, compared with PAL. So let's keep this all in perspective.

TV service is like shopping malls. No matter how convenient and how
ample the parking, the only way to attract customers is to have the
right stores. OTA broadcasters are evidently not so keen to offer the
right stores. Just create some sports-related multicasts and see what
happens.