[opendtv] Beam index CRT's

  • From: prinyar.boon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:05:43 +0100

This technique is used in military aircraft colour cockpit displays.  The high G
plays havoc with conventional masks

The black stripe is a UV emitter

Prin

Subject:    [opendtv] Re: The Math on Screen sizes
Author: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:       08/06/2004 19:48

<>

The other type of color CRT that I know of is the shadow maskless index crt.
It uses no shadow mask, and has only one electron beam to illuminate all
three phosphor stripes.  The strpes are arranged on the face of the tube in
the groups of four: Red, green, blue, black.  The black stripe actually
reflects back the electron beam to a detector.  In this way, a single
electron gun can be modulated by the red, green, and blue signal in
succession, and the black index stripe keeps the electronics in sync with
what strip is being illuminated at any one time.  The only use I ever saw
for this was for a color viewfinder CRT on a late 1980s vintage VHS
camcorder, Hitachi I believe.  I also think that this was orignally
developed by Sony as the Indextron, but that is off the top of my chrome
dome.
<>