[opendtv] Be Everywhere

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 09:36:19 -0400

For those of you who get Broadcasting and Cable, there is an article in the
current issue that is relevant to some of our recent discussions. The B&C
subscription is pricey, so I cannot access the full article. Here is a synopsis:

Stations Need to Show More Urgency with TV Everywhere Rollout
Broadcasters from the largest and most prestigious station groups used the
NAB’s annual Las Vegas wingding to tout the benefits of a truly mobile TV
product—national and local news, and entertainment programming, for users on
the go. They spoke of devising the “next generation” of local broadcasting—a
transformational 24/7 service that would ensure local TV’s relevance for today,
tomorrow and beyond. All of that happened at the NAB Show—five years ago, when
a dozen broadcast groups formed the Pearl Mobile DTV coalition. In subsequent
years in Vegas, we heard about the Dyle mobile product and its vast potential.
Jump ahead to NAB 2015, where talk of TV Everywhere was everywhere, and a
mention of Dyle was harder to come by than taxis outside the Encore. Live
streaming was Topic A at most affiliates meetings in Vegas, yet the urgency to
get it to the masses is not readily apparent.

For those of you who attended NAB, it would be interesting to hear a few
comments related to this topic.

Specifically, do broadcasters think they need a new transmission system to
reach the mobile audience, or are they ready to cash-in the spectrum and take
their chances providing content via OTT streaming?