[opendtv] Re: Basic basic service

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 19:59:57 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> This is the first time I see such "basic basic" service specified:
>
> http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSTV/Plans/Plans.htm
>
> Bottom of the page, in the smallest print:
>
> "FiOS TV Local service package also available, providing access to local TV
> channels and community and educational programming for $12.99/month."
>
> My FiOS-using office neighbor says this package is transmitted in clear QAM.
>
> So, what does anyone guess will happen to this service after the OTA TV
> channels are taken away?
>
> Bert

The FCC should continue to expect and require that lifeline cable
channels be sent as unencrypted signals available to digital cable ready
TV's.   That tier should continue to exist and be available for
emergency new.  Also, many advertising supported channels prefer to be
on it and reach the most eyeballs.

Though much of the best content may be already migrating away from that
tier.

- Tom