[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:42:39 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> >I don't understand your point. If that cheap TV you're talking about
> >were built as two separate boxes, one tuner with audio and video
> >jacks, and one monitor with video inputs and perhaps a built-in audio
> >system, how much would it cost? Never mind if the audio system has
> >to be another set of separate enclosures.
>
> My point was that this set was "over stuffed" with connectors, which
> you seem to believe make the manufacturing cost much higher. I do not
> contest the notion that  - ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL - two boxes with
> connectors will cost more than one integrated unit. That is just
> logical.
>
> BUT. All things ARE NOT equal. There are several
> considerations in play here.

[ ... ]

> 2. We live in a world with both integrated products and component
> systems. Integration is critical for portability, but much less
> important for fixed installations. It is VERY COMMON for the biggest
> screen in the home to have a bunch of components connected; VCR, DVD
> player, cable or DBS boxes, [ ... ]

As you can see by scrolling back, you got lost in tangential
arguments. Let me try to focus this back more succinctly.

If you bring up the $129 viable analog NTSC set, and then point
to how a digital front end would raise the price, what are you
trying to prove?

1. Are you trying to make an argument that NTSC transmissions
should be retained for cheap sets? At least, *that* would make
sense as an argument. I don't think you intend it, though.

2. Are you trying to suggest that it would be better to offer that
$129 set as a mere monitor? What does that achieve? As a monitor,
you need to add either an ATSC STB or some DBS or cable STB, or
it might as well be a boat anchor. So add up the price of the
cheap monitor + STB (+ potential subscription service), and
you have lost any semblance of low cost TV.

If I came up with examples of cheap and viable TV sets of today,
I would follow that up with discussion on achieving a low price
in a set that is viable AFTER the DTV transition. And to achieve
that, you have to consider a built-in and combined digital
receiver.

Or perhaps, let's champion the retention of analog transmission?

The alternative to this is to give up on the notion of low
cost TV sets. Which again begs the question, why on earth
did you mention the $129 NTSC set at all?