[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:13:29 -0700

>From: "Dale Kelly" <res0xtey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 19:03:02 -0700
>
>Even though what you say make sense, it was not an answer to my particular
>question, which was: "Can Motorola actually supply a set top box for $67
>which includes 5th Gen technology?" I was skeptical that it could be done
>anytime in the near future for such a price. I assumed that Motorola didn't
>pull that number out of a hat when it offered a product to support the
>Congressman's proposal to speed the DTV transition by giving away set top
>boxes. However, since you no longer work for Motorola directly I understand
>why you couldn't supply a direct answer.

Low-end digital cable 'adapters' are already available at relatively low cost
in 2004. Some people are even referring to these as "set-back boxes" rather
than set-top boxes, in recognition of the fact that they are much smaller and
less obtrusive than a traditional set-top box. Not yet a "dongle," but more
like a cable modem. See http://broadband.motorola.com/noflash/DCT700.html for a
picture of one.

Assuming the ATSC 'adapter' target price wasn't "pulled out of a hat," one
could surmise that some sort of analysis indicates that 2 years from now, an
ATSC 'adapter' can be made for a cost that is in roughly the same ballpark as a
low-end digital cable 'adapter' today.

The only issue that might make me share your skepticism is the royalty issue.
From a silicon and end-product manufacturing cost perspective (excluding
royalties), I believe the target is achievable in that time frame.

-- Frank