[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 10:20:28 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>If so the way most
>>Americans get an OTA receiver will be very low cost or zero IMO.
>>Broadcasters will quickly become subscription service providers just
>>like cable  and satellite. I think cable and satellite are at a
>>competitive disadvantage for a number of reasons in that contest.
>>

>I doubt that will happen. My sense is that Congress thinks an FTA
>TV system is necessary, and are linking OTA with FTA. But it's
>certainly possible that a subscription tier will emerge in many or
>most markets. Whether it will survive is another matter.
>
>I can't forget what happened to other examples of subscription OTA
>services. And in Europe, where such services might have had a
>better chance of success.
>
>We shall see.
>
>Bert

The only subscription based OTA ventures so far were analog which could
not compete for obvious reasons and the UK venture which failed on
account of specific business decisions right in the face of obvious
success. There is already a new subscription based service up and
running in the UK.

http://www.topuptv.com/

A single channel of SD has to be delivered via MPEG2 FTA. That is what
Congress has said is necessary. Anything else is up in the air. Recent
hearings have seen both House and Senate leaders, McCain and Barton,
have shown complete indifference to HDTV, an impatience with the
transition and frustration with cable packaging and cost.

This suggest that a competitor to cable using OTA with ala carte would
be welcomed. This OTA subscription service could also offer HD.

You think it is unlikely, I think it is inevitable. I have thought it
was inevitable since 1999 when we wanted to do advanced compression with
COFDM. 8-VSB just delayed things five years is all.