[opendtv] Re: Barriers eroding to LCD TV adoption

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:49:01 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> If so the way most
> Americans get an OTA receiver will be very low cost or zero IMO.
> Broadcasters will quickly become subscription service providers just
> like cable  and satellite. I think cable and satellite are at a
> competitive disadvantage for a number of reasons in that contest.

I doubt that will happen. My sense is that Congress thinks an FTA
TV system is necessary, and are linking OTA with FTA. But it's
certainly possible that a subscription tier will emerge in many or
most markets. Whether it will survive is another matter.

I can't forget what happened to other examples of subscription OTA
services. And in Europe, where such services might have had a
better chance of success.

We shall see.