[opendtv] Re: Backward Compatibility of Robust DTV Transmissions

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 11:37:13 -0500

Al,

Once a receiver is built, how much can be done ex post facto to improve the performance? With so many receivers designed around "blind equalization" exclusively, I don't understand what sort of "training wheels" can be added to ATSC to help them.

I can see how one could create pseudo-training sequences ala A-VSB that could help new receivers improve their performance without upsetting existing hardware, but I think the best one can hope for with legacy receivers is similar to the Hippocratic oath, "first do no harm."

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>