[opendtv] Re: BIA/Kelsey raises TV station revenue outlook for 2010

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:15:16 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> But localism lies at the very heart of the political/corporate
> partnership that is broadcast TV. It gives the false sense that
> there are hundreds of independent voices focused on the local
> markets that the Congress critters serve. And it provides hundreds
> of local newscasts between elections for the politicians to get
> some local face time.

Okay, so here's the sort of design that could achieve spectrum savings and
still provide even more "localism" than people can stomach.

You assign one 6 MHz channel for any number of "local" broadcasts. You can cram
at least 5, and even up to 10 local shows in that one 6 MHz channel.

The rest of the channels are used by regional or national networks.

*Now* we can make the case that perhaps "cellular TV" would be part of the
solution.

Would have been nice to see a more complete discussion of this topic at the FCC
meeting on June 25. Because what we are left with is a return of OTA TV to what
it was at the beginning of TV, I'm afraid, as far as choice goes, anyway.

As far as I can tell, the FCC people went away from that meeting without a clue
as to why the much ballyhooed "cellular TV" idea was said to be such a bust by
these experts. They're probably still puzzling about it now.