[opendtv] Re: BBC Shelves Its 3-D TV Programming Plans

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 23:03:33 +0000

Aside from my own personal feeling of mild nausea with much 3D content, I
always saw 3D TV as an answer to a question no was asked. There was no
significant consumer interest or push behind 3D TV. It was instead mostly a
steady, I'd say even insistent, trickle of CE company news briefs.

From my point of view, aside from glasses, smaller sweet spots for viewing,
nausea, and the rest, is that none of the 3D TV standards out there was even
slightly elegant. The one that might have been elegant, the 2D plus delta
scheme, was not yet worked out and therefore, as far as I could tell, was never
even mentioned by the multiple TV standards bodies. Sorry, but having to
transmit twice the image content is just plain brute force ugly. Side by side
or over and under, who cares?

Hopefully, 4K won't suffer from any of these problems. For one, no problem
upconverting HD or even SD content to 4K, in the TV monitor itself. You won't
get a sharper image, most likely (unless you have some real fancy image
processing guesswork there), but you will get a TV that looks like it has a
liquid screen. And for another, we now have either H.265 or VP9 that
potentially could be introduced at the same time. As a single jump from H.262
to H.265/VP9, for OTA or cable, that might just solve the bandwidth question.
And it would be an elegant solution.