[opendtv] BBC News: Broadband challenges TV viewing

  • From: jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:28:23 +0100

Hello,

John Shutt has given me advice on how to change the settings in
Lotus Notes to send only plain ascii text to internet recipients.
I am trying this now. This should work, really...   :-)  Thanks !

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4065047.stm

"The ability to browse web pages at high speed, download files such as
music or
films and play online games is changing what people do in their spare
time.
A study by analysts Jupiter Research suggested that broadband was
challenging
television viewing habits. "

This should only get "worse" as broadband becomes wireless.

Oh, BTW, my colleague Michel reminded me why the 2.4 GHz band
is given away for WiFi applications: it is the same frequency
as used in the microwave oven. Not only does this mean that this
band is EMI polluted anyway, so nobody wants to pay for using it,
but it also means that the energy is easily dissipated by water
molecules, so the signals will not carry over a long distance.
This makes it more suitable for frequency re-use (sharing).

So forget about setting up your own WiFi television station...

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx    |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Philips Digital Systems Laboratories   |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2    |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands  |
| Pager:    ++31.6.65133818     | Website: http://www.pdsl.philips.com/  |