[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:08:52 -0400

John Willkie wrote:

>Actually, you seem to be responding to something that nobody else said.
>Nobody -- at least this time around (me having learned a few years back) --
>said that pixels had to be square.

Neither did I.  I referred to square-pixel SPACING.  When you wrote
about dividing 480 by nine and multiplying by 16, whether you are aware
of it or not, you were invoking square-pixel spacing.

 >could you address the ATSC compression format constraints?  Are they
 >optional?

The FCC did not adopt them, so, yes, they are entirely optional for
broadcasters.  Unfortunately, some receivers won't work properly if
they're not used.

 >Are they irrelevant?

They should be, but see the comment about receivers above.  I am
permitted to comment on the testing ATTC performed on behalf of ATSC
T3/S6, because it was publicly available on the ATTC web site.  They
tested seven receivers in a number of possible modes involving
720-active-sample lines.  Five receivers had no problems.  One had a
problem with one mode.  A different one had a problem with a different mode.

TTFN,
Mark