[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: John Golitsis <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:47:39 -0400

You sound every bit the person who has not really been following the
progress of all this.  There are two competing formats - one called
very specifically "HD-DVD", the other, "Blu-Ray".  If you want to
refer to HD DVD generically, I suggest you do as I just did and drop
the hyphen.

The HD-DVD spec is complete and approved by the DVD Forum.  The mass-
market version of Blu-Ray (which includes the BD-ROM spec) is not.
Makes it pretty obvious why Sony wanted to graft the Blu-Ray
transport into the HD-DVD platform.  The Blu-Ray spec is/was
considering using Java, but as I understand it, that may not make it
to the final spec.  If you're interested in the DRM used for HD-DVD,
I suggest you read the spec.

As for this connection, you missed the real reason by a country
mile.  Sony's PlayStation3 is scheduled to ship with a Blu-Ray
drive.  Microsoft's XBOX 360 is scheduled to ship with a DVD drive,
but Microsoft has publicly stated that this is an obvious area that
could be addressed in version 2 hardware.  Microsoft ain't gonna use
no Sony drive in their competing XBOX, and they already play nice
with Toshiba.