[opendtv] Re: Automakers Oppose HD Radio Requirement

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:32:53 -0400

At 10:48 AM -0400 7/16/08, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

I've a hard time understanding what you consider to be anti-competitive,
then.

Why am I NOT surprised.

To me, this is very much like apartment complexes that usurp the coax
distribution network originally installed to distribute OTA TV, and hand
it over to the MVPD for their exclusive use. By any definition, that is
anti-competitive.

Agreed. The only alternative for dwellers in those buildings was rabbit ears. Then the FCC passed rules to allow people in apartment buildings to install a dish for DirecTV or DISH. And now the apartment owners are being forced to open up the building to other wired competitors.

Yes, you are certainly free NOT to move into that apartment, as you are
free NOT to buy a GM vehicle, I suppose.

True but not relevant.

First, GM does not install XM capable receivers in the entire fleet, only certain models.

Second, there is NOTHING to prevent you from taking out the factory installed radio and replacing it with anything you want. So this is NOTHING like the apartment building example.

I did want to address another point, though. The govt-mandated inclusion
of ATSC receivers in TV sets does have an excuse that HD Radio doesn't
have. The DTT transition frees up another 100 MHz of TV spectrum that
the govt (in its role as spectrum manager) has reallocated. So this
forces everyone off the analog spectrum. There is no such excuse for
digital radio.

Agreed. But IMHO this was still a tenuous excuse, given the reality that 85% of the marketplace no longer uses OTA tuners on their primary sets.

Anyway, Craig, you must really prefer the IP-centric (intellectual
property IP, that is) approach of US standards, like ATSC and HD Radio,
as opposed to the more open standards like DRM and DVB. As you prove by
saying:

 What the automakers are doing is good old American competitiveness.
 > Consumers can decide if they want this stuff.

There are MANY DRM standards, and almost all are NOT OPEN.

DVB is no different than ATSC  - neither are open.

The difference with DVB and ATSC is that governments are mandating their use and in some countries establishing rules for inclusion in some CE products.

HD radio is no different than ATSC except that the government has not historically mandated what tuners must go into a radio.