[opendtv] Re: Automakers Oppose HD Radio Requirement

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:48:49 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Cliff Benham wrote:
>>
>> Ah-Ha!
>>
>> It may then be that the other subscription service owners don't
>> want a service that is 'free' bundled in with their 'paid'
>> services.
>
> Rather obvious. But this is not anti-competitive. More like
> telling Disney that they must include a short video from another
> studio on every DVD they sell.

I've a hard time understanding what you consider to be anti-competitive,
then.

To me, this is very much like apartment complexes that usurp the coax
distribution network originally installed to distribute OTA TV, and hand
it over to the MVPD for their exclusive use. By any definition, that is
anti-competitive.

Yes, you are certainly free NOT to move into that apartment, as you are
free NOT to buy a GM vehicle, I suppose.

I did want to address another point, though. The govt-mandated inclusion
of ATSC receivers in TV sets does have an excuse that HD Radio doesn't
have. The DTT transition frees up another 100 MHz of TV spectrum that
the govt (in its role as spectrum manager) has reallocated. So this
forces everyone off the analog spectrum. There is no such excuse for
digital radio.

Anyway, Craig, you must really prefer the IP-centric (intellectual
property IP, that is) approach of US standards, like ATSC and HD Radio,
as opposed to the more open standards like DRM and DVB. As you prove by
saying: