[opendtv] Re: Automakers Oppose HD Radio Requirement

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:37:16 -0400

I sympathize completely with your point. It would be easier to swallow
if HD Radio were an open, royalty-free standard.

However, the counter argument is that no one is saying that HD Radio is
compulsory. Congress is trying to make it so that *if* the merged XM
Radio and Sirius receivers are sold, *then* HD Radio has to be part of
the package. It's not like they are mandating HD Radio in all radio
receivers.

Correct. They are just protecting the "special interests" of their buddies in the broadcasting industry who are facing increased competition for the ears that are stuck in traffic.

Also, I think we need to view this mostly as applies to cars. That's
where the buyer has much less control over his realistic choices.
Remember how tightly XM Radio and OnStar products are bound.

You mean like the steering wheel to the the front tires?

Why not let Congress review every new product that is developed before it can be sold in the U.S., and mandate features of that product?

By the way, the reason that the Appeals Court overturned the FCC decision on the Broadcast Flag, is that it put the FCC in the position of regulating every downstream device that could possible touch bits that were broadcast. The Court found, correctly IMHO, that the FCC does not have the authority to do this.

All of the digital radio standards in question are proprietary and
licensed. So, when you have exclusive agreements such as those between
certain automakers and one particular proprietary and licensed system,
which is a walled garden to boot, my contention is that these "will
inherently distort the normal incentives to cost reduce and further
improve the [] product offering" (quoted from the original piece) far
more without HD Radio added in the mix.

So what?

Why is there a moral obligation to cost reduce and advantage a particular portfolio of IP just because some politicians decide it should be so?