[opendtv] Re: Automakers Oppose HD Radio Requirement

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:09:14 -0400

At 11:03 AM -0400 7/15/08, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

Nonsense. When they carefully integrate their radio displays with other
on-board systems, like OnStar and its hands-free telephone service, they
are effectively discouraging the purchase of aftermarket radios. And
when they offer XM Radio as standard equipment, adding the radio and
subscription cost to the monthly car payment, they are creating a tidy
new revenue stream for themselves.

This wouldn't sound so disingenuous if at least THEY offered HD Radio as
an extra-cost option.

In the face of anti-competitive practices like this, I find it hard to
become indignant about some counterbalancing govt mandate.

I think you have it backwards Bert. Government mandates to include something that the consumer may or may not want are anti-competitive. What the automakers are doing is good old American competitiveness. Consumers can decide if they want this stuff.

http://allcarsreview.com/2007/10/19/symbol-of-being-behind-the-time-gm-includes-xm-as-standard-equipment/

So GM is eating the cost of the XM tuner in hopes of gaining subscription revenues.

Next, you will probably be telling us that rack & pinion steering and Disk brakes were anti-competitive.