[opendtv] Re: Automakers Oppose HD Radio Requirement

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:43:22 -0700

Well, isn' DRM open-source and royalty-free?  Why hasn't it taken the
airwaves by storm?

Seems to me that car buyers shouldn't have to pay more for their radios just
to satisfy some people's views on the XM/Sirrius merger.  And, I'm against
the merger, as it violates the terms of their license grants, with no
changed cirumstances save for the generosity to talent by XM and Sirrius.
Seems that some people want all car buyers to pay the price for that.

Isn't it 'anti-competitive' for them to not equip all cars with shortwave
reception capability?

John Willkie

-----Mensaje original-----
De: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] En
nombre de Manfredi, Albert E
Enviado el: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:26 PM
Para: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Asunto: [opendtv] Re: Automakers Oppose HD Radio Requirement

Dan Grimes wrote:

> If the HD encoding/decoding were an open format and public
> domain, I would be all for "forcing" HD radio.  However,
> the encoding is proprietary and licensed.  If Ibiquity were
> to be required in the receiver, why shouldn't XM receivers
> be required as well?

I sympathize completely with your point. It would be easier to swallow
if HD Radio were an open, royalty-free standard.

However, the counter argument is that no one is saying that HD Radio is
compulsory. Congress is trying to make it so that *if* the merged XM
Radio and Sirius receivers are sold, *then* HD Radio has to be part of
the package. It's not like they are mandating HD Radio in all radio
receivers.

Also, I think we need to view this mostly as applies to cars. That's
where the buyer has much less control over his realistic choices.
Remember how tightly XM Radio and OnStar products are bound.

All of the digital radio standards in question are proprietary and
licensed. So, when you have exclusive agreements such as those between
certain automakers and one particular proprietary and licensed system,
which is a walled garden to boot, my contention is that these "will
inherently distort the normal incentives to cost reduce and further
improve the [] product offering" (quoted from the original piece) far
more without HD Radio added in the mix.

Bert
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways:

- Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at
FreeLists.org 

- By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word
unsubscribe in the subject line.


 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways:

- Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at 
FreeLists.org 

- By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word 
unsubscribe in the subject line.

Other related posts: