[opendtv] Re: Automakers Oppose HD Radio Requirement

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:03:38 -0400

http://www.radioink.com/HeadlineEntry.asp?hid=142835&pt=todaysnews

Automakers Oppose HD Radio Requirement

WASHINGTON -- July 14, 2008: General Motors Corp. and Toyota Motor Sales
USA have jointly written to the FCC to oppose proposals that HD Radio
capability be required in all future satellite radio receivers if XM
Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio are allowed to merge.

[ ... ]

They note that "HD is already penetrating the automotive sector without
a mandate" -- Ford and others have agreements to install HD Radio in
current or upcoming models -- and say, "Nothing in our companies'
respective agreements with XM inhibits our ability to offer HD Radio."

[ ... ]
new revenue stream for themselves.

This wouldn't sound so disingenuous if at least THEY offered HD Radio as
an extra-cost option.

In the face of anti-competitive practices like this, I find it hard to
become indignant about some counterbalancing govt mandate.