[opendtv] Re: Australia to launch Freeview service

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:39:52 -0400

Ciril Kosorok wrote:

> Aussie's love free HDTV FOTA... in fact TiVo launches end
> of this month with NO subscription fee. A TiVo world first...
>
> http://www.mytivo.com.au/whatistivo/specifications.php

It gets weirder and weirder. You do need to set up an account with them over
the Internet, though, for the EPG. Although you're right, they say it's free.

I couldn't get into the site to read the terms and conditions, because I don't
have the TiVo number they ask for. So maybe they are leaving the door open to
charge a fee for that Internet account, in the future?

> BTW, 'HD Radio' (DAB+) broadcasting commences in
> Australia 1 January 2009.

This is fun. Although now that the DRM+ system (Digital Radio Mondiale) is
incorporating the FM frequency band, and AAC+, I'm not sure why countries
interested in introducing digital radio don't go to DRM+ or HD Radio, both of
which can reuse the MW and FM bands. And DRM+ also offers at least two channel
bandwidths, 50 KHz and 100 KHz, which would be a perfectly good way to
gradually introduce digital radio during a transitional period. For example,
DRM+ can be transmitted in the spaces between FM analog stations, at low power,
very much like HD Radio is operating now.

I saw some time ago that Ofcom is wondering what to do when/if the FM band in
the UK is vacated, as people migrate from FM to DAB. Seems like an unnecessary
disuption to me. The FM band's wavelength is too long to be very attractive to
hand-held, two-way devices anyway. Ought to be retained for terrestrial radio,
IMO.