[opendtv] Re: Aussie Minister announces Digital Australia education Campaign

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 14:33:48 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

With the "tuner mandate," it would be interesting to know what
that number is in the US today.

Number of what? People who buy OTA receivers because they
mean to use them or people who buy a DTV set that has a
mandated OTA receiver in it that they may not be aware of at
all?

Mostly, the percentage of DTT-capable sets out there. Also, the percentage of those that gets used at least occasionally for DTT, as would be the case for people who buy their sets primarily to use for cable or DBS.

Since 75 percent of Aussies use OTA TV, one would expect that DTT is used more there, on a regular basis, proportionally, than here.

Has there ever been decent numbers about how many people use
OTA DTV in the US? It seems to be in the interest of many to
suppress those numbers if they exist.

Not that I know of. However, supposed reasons to suppress such a number probably vary according to what axe you continue to grind. If the number is low, your reasoning would be that such a number would "prove" that ATSC is a failure. So dark forces out there would want to suppress it.

Instead if the number is high, my explanation for its suppression might be that a high number might encourage CE vendors to make DTT-capable products, which are obviously otherwise very hard to come by, and certain industries intend to keep it that way.

Another difference was that Powell initiated a tuner mandate to get
the US transition moving from near zero.

Another question I have is whether this migration to subscription TV might be a trend that every country will eventually experience, or whether a 25 percent usage of such services can remain more or less stable.