[opendtv] Re: Aussie Minister announces Digital Australia education Campaign

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:14:19 -0500

On 11/24/06, Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Neil Pickford wrote:

>Some Aussie DTV News
>Some Australian press reporting on the Plan

<http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Aussies-urged-to-make-switch-to-digital/2006/11/24/1163871594585.html>

Just picking the first article Neil posted, here are some highlights:

1. Analog shutoff to be between 2010 and 2012, but it was originally set for
2008. So, same experience as everywhere else except for Germany. Analog
shutoff gets moved out far enough so as not to be too intrusive "just yet."
Italy seems to be the country that plays "chicken" right until the hairy
edge. Others are more cautious.

2. "A significant knowledge deficit about digital television was apparent in
the research," ACMA said.

3. A "comparatively small number of Australians were climbing aboard the
digital bandwagon."

4. "Over 65 per cent did not know there was a analogue switch-off date."

5. I think very significantly, "About 25 per cent of households had
subscription TV, such as Foxtel." Compared here with more like 85 percent.

6. "The agency said the number of Australian households with free to air
digital TV now stood at about 30 per cent, up from a low base of just 13 per
cent in mid 2005." Seems to me that the popularity of OTA TV in general
plays a big part in this number. With the "tuner mandate," it would be
interesting to know what that number is in the US today.

Number of what? People who buy OTA receivers because they mean to use
them or people who buy a DTV set that has a mandated OTA receiver in
it that they may not be aware of at all?

Bit of a difference.

The question should be how many people are using OTA DTV to receive
DTV. I would suspect that most of those in Australia are doing just
that.

Has there ever been decent numbers about how many people use OTA DTV
in the US? It seems to be in the interest of many to suppress those
numbers if they exist.

7. The government is about to create a new agency, Digital Australia, to
educate the public and get things rolling. Including a TV labeling campaign.

Will be interesting to follow events. I'm waiting to see whether other
countries, especially those in which OTA TV is popular, will finally do what
Michael Powell did, and establish a "digital tuner" mandate on the TV
industry.

Another difference was that Powell initiated a tuner mandate to get
the US transition moving from near zero. If they do it in OZ is will
be to complete it. Finish off the holdouts so that they can turn off
analog.

OZ is at a real 30% after 3 years. The US is at 2.3% or less after
almost NINE IMO. Anybody have better numbers? Again that is 2.3% or
less who are using OTA as their main source of TV, not someone who had
cable, satellite and is waiting for Verizon to install FIOS and has a
generation one 8-VSB STB in the garage.

France is at a real 10% with only half the country covered after only
18 months. That should count as 20% I suppose.

Yes the US is a strange place, it has 8-VSB.

Bob Miller