[opendtv] Re: Auction 73/76

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 20:04:12 -0500

The FCC, Congress and the Lobbyist who else. Interesting how between 2004
when the last auction ended and now they managed to change the rules for the
Lower 700 MHz channels, 52 to 59, from 50 kW to 5 kW with the one exception
of the E block or Channel 56. The FCC "CLAIMS" to be interested in making
the spectrum open to "as many uses as possible" but lowered the power level
to limit broadcast competition to current OTA broadcasters IMO. Probably
only left 56 alone to satisfy lobbyist of Qualcomm which most likely wants
to add to their 55. But they did leave the language alone AFAIK so if you
want to broadcast at 5 kW you can on the other blocks.

Their rationale for setting the rules as they have publicly is to allow " as
many uses as possible" but in fact is to satisfy the fattest cats who are in
their face the most and who have clout in Congress.

Still think that the most economical use of this spectrum is for broadcast
one way. Most of it could still end up being used that way. The FCC may even
allow an increase in power later for broadcast users IMO if they prove out
broadcast usage in Cities where 5 kW would be a lot in an SFN.

Bob Miller