[opendtv] Re: Aspect ratios on MACs and PCs

  • From: John Golitsis <jgolitsis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:31:58 -0400

Larry, Apple's Cinema displays are really 16:10 so if this monitor he recently purchased is not an Apple display and truly is 16:9, that might explain it if the Mac is trying to drive it at a Cinema display native resolution.

I have not used it, but "switchResX" might be a solution:

http://www.madrau.com/html/SRX/About.html

On 18-Oct-07, at 8:40 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

At 11:24 AM -0700 10/14/07, Larry Bloomfield wrote:
Hi all:

I have a young associate who does editing in Final Cut. He uses his computer and has recently gotten a new monitor. It is 16x9. He said all the displays are distorted and wants to display some material in 4x3. Since I'm not a Mac guy. I told him the only thing I knew was on a PC to go to the properties on the desktop select settings and try different screen resolutions using a circle as a test image. What else should he or can he do?

All Mac graphics modes use square pixels. There should be no distortion because of the monitor settings. That being said, the display SHOULD be operated at its native pixel resolution to achieve maximum sharpness.

I am quite certain that FCP has application settings to deal with the proper display of the source material, whether it is 4:3, 16:9, or any other aspect ratio.