[opendtv] Re: Aspect ratio (of Matrix Reloaded)

  • From: "Alan Roberts" <roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:51:21 -0000

It's common practice, in the film business, to shoot film intending to crop
the images. There isn't a 2.35:1 film format as such, it's achieved by
shooting a larger format and cropping it. 3-perm 35mm is approximately 16:9
for the exposed frame.

What usually happens is that the film editor zooms and crops the exposed
film to get the images the production need, so a fair amount of what went
onto film never gets used, not just shots and footage are thrown away, parts
of the picture are too. This happens in electronic capture too, Lucas shot
Star Wars Whatever using 16:9 (Sony HDW900 onto hard-drives) in 16:9
1080-line and then cropped it to 820 lines for release. This process makes
it possible to change shooting decisions after the shoot has finished.

It seems that the Matrix DVD has been made from the originals rather than
from the released print, unless two versions were made at the time.