[opendtv] Re: As an Alternative to a Trip to a Video Store, Movies Through a Set-Top Box - New York Times

  • From: Frank Eory <frank.eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:29:00 -0700

Kon Wilms wrote:

>Last time I checked they were going away from analog and using DTV
>bandwidth for their 2nd gen box. I wasn't aware that viewing anything
>but datacasted content was part of their featureset though..
>
>Cheers
>Kon

I also remember that around 4 or 5 years ago the plan was to migrate the
Dotcast service to DTV channels, but there is no hint of that on thier
web site. Even back then, it wasn't clear if they planned to use a
fraction of the ATSC transport stream for thier datacasting or rather
continue with a proprietary transmission system.

Keep in mind that it must work, and work robustly.

-- Frank