[opendtv] Re: As an Alternative to a Trip to a Video Store, Movies Through a Set-Top Box - New York Times

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:27:04 -0500

Moviebeam comes to your transmitter site, installs the exciters, aligns your
transmitter until you're happy with the added noise levels (not one PBS
engineer yet has said the dotcast is "invisible") and it's all on their
dime, including the hardware.  They also install a small data dish for the
movies, and possibly a buffer server of some sort.

All this plus the rollout of the STBs for a service based on a transmission
scheme that is planned to be turned off at midnight of 17 Feb 09.

I'm glad the Mouse has so much money to throw around.

John