[opendtv] Re: Are HD Broadcasts Required by Feb. of 2009

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:35:45 -0700

Problem? What problem?

All of U.S. primetime (all networks) is HDTV.  Latenight, ditto.  Early AM,
ditto.  60 minutes, ditto.  Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, most soap operas,
ditto.  Networks seem to be "deficient" as to HDTV with news and soap
operas.

Advertisers are starting to pay extra for HDTV spots.

Filling up that 24 hours with HDTV content is a bit of an issue, because
much content was -- shudder -- created before there was widespread
availability of HDTV production and acquisition gear.  If there are
infomercials shot in HDTV, I've only heard of one, a "kitty litter
management system."  I'm not sure that was ever distributed in HDTV.

I think it's a good thing that SDTV DTV sets tune in HDTV broadcasts.  And,
there is not only no mandate as to which format, a broadcaster can define
their own format, within MPEG-2 constraints, and have a reasonably good
expectation that it will render on late-model TV sets.

And, ALL the content on the cable/satellite HD channels was captured in
HDTV?  I think you might be confusing apples and oranges.  By the way, TV
stations don't have consumers; cable firms do.  To be a consumer of
something, you have to pay for it.  A confused consumer is the last hope of
cable TV companies.

John Willkie