[opendtv] Re: Are HD Broadcasts Required by Feb. of 2009

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:32:09 -0400

Don Moore wrote:
dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
A local Fox affiliate employee said they are working hard to upgrade their news to HD because it is required with the analog turn-off in Feb. 2009. Is that true now? I thought broadcasters were required to broadcast ATSC, but nothing about what definition (in fact, Table 2 isn't even official, correct?) I think he is mistaken but I didn't want to confront him on it because so much is changing so fast, perhaps I missed something somewhere.

That's the problem....

Broadcasters must transmitter digitally; but there is no mandate as to which format. If they wanted to retain 480i, they could.

There's very little HD (1080i or 720p) content available to the broadcasters to fill their share of the 24 hour void. Networks are increasing their HD content; but eliminating revenue share to the point where some affiliates are paying for content instead of receiving compensation as they did in the "old days".

I looked the amount of CBS/NBC/ABC content a few months ago - each have about 2 hours in the morning and 3 hrs in the evening - very roughly - plus they are all going to HD news. Not much really. I dont know how affiliates get pd, but I have heard that argument that there is little incentive to produce in HD because the audience is less. But, if they produce in HD, they can distribute HD, SD and analog so I dont see how their audience or revenue goes down. Expense is up, sure. If they distribute HD only, sure audience is down, but who would that?
The "digital" TV is where the consumer confusion begins. Digital TV is not High Definition; yet thousands of HD sets are being used to watch digital standard definition content and the consumers are happy. If we educate them too much, they would discover that the broadcasters are not offering 24/7 HD content - BUT cable and satellite are offering a few dozen 24/7 HD content channels.

A confused consumer is may be the broadcasters last hope.