[opendtv] Re: Are ATSC Stations Going Off The Air?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 09:58:03 -0400

Why did I wait so long?

I just switched from AT&T DSL TO Cox Cable broadband. I should have done this
years ago, but I've been working to settle a claim with Cox because a Fed-X
truck snagged a Cox cable, broke the pole in front of my house, and pulled the
electric service and siding off the house in 2006.

I've had DSL since it was introduced in Gainesville, but the service
deteriorated recently; many dropped sessions...

The best part is that I'm saving money! Adding Cox premiere broadband raised my
bill $20/mo, dropping DSL and some phone service features will save $50/mo.
This is partly due to the fact that the cable companies have an alternate price
list they can use with customers who threaten to cut the cord; I got the lower
rate as part of the settlement for damage to the house.

I bought a new Docsis 3.0 cable modem for $100 - the monthly rental fee for a
modem from Cox was $6.99, so the payback is about 14 months.

The "net" benefit:

Best DSL performance: 1.3 Mbps down/ 256 Kbps up

Best Cox Premiere: 23 Mbps down/ 4.5 Mbps up (They guarantee 18 Mbps down)

Unfortunately, I'm still paying for the Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR I've been
using since 2005.

But in conversations with their top local service techs, I got the impression
that they are preparing to FINALLY do what the FCC mandated them to do in 1996
- open up the system to third party STBs that the customer can buy.

So a prediction: all the noise about an Apple iTV may turn out to be an Apple
cable STB; and I think we have already seen it working in the Comcast demos
earlier this summer.